Thursday, April 14, 2005

Concert #2

Last night I had the privilege of seeing The Kills at the Black Cat. Since it was a Wednesday and not many people know how good they are, it wasn't awfully packs. Uncle Tom and I were right up front of the stage and actually ventured towards the left side of the stage. NOTE TO ANY BAND WHO PLAYS THE BLACK CAT: BRING STICKERS!!! I have been collecting stickers for my guitar case and this show didn't have any, I was disappointed.

First on the venue was The Routineers, who put on a great performance. Amanda MacKaye, who some may know her brother Ian the lead singer of Fugazi, made dancing to rock music sexy. Leaning into the mic and wailing, it was great. Ryan Nelson, guitar, had tremendous skills on his guitar, at one point snapping a sting and kept going never missing a note. The Routineers are a local DC band. I strongly suggest seeing them for a great rock show. They need to get some merchandise for they shows though. Their families were taken back stage at the end, I thought about trying to sneak with them.

Next on the venue was Scout Niblett. I am still confused about this two piece. They start out with a drummer and Emma on guitar. It was very mellow, what I call hippie bullshit(which doesn't belong at a rock show), and then Emma hits her pedal and goes into overdrive. She starts screeching on the guitar and the drummer starts going nuts on the drums with some great beats. When they were rocking it was great, especially on the last song when she started screaming. But every song went that was, it would be mellow then ROCK, then mellow then ROCK! They ended up having an EP in the back but I was afraid to pick it up. They need to pick a sound and I would choose rock. Though if they wanted to do the mellow thing I am sure they would have a crowd, it just wouldn't include me.

Then we have The Kills. Since we ventured to the left side of the stage, of course, VV ended up being on the right, leaning into the crowd over our usual spot. But we eventually made our way center. GOD was she hot! The thing I noticed was none of the bands really talked with the crowd, The Kills were no exception. They didn't really have to though. This two piece didn't include a drummer. The had Hotel, the guy, on lead guitar which again could make some great sounds and some weird stares through the crowd just like the great rockstar he is. VV, played guitar on some tracks and was of course lead vocals. They were also equipped with a drum machine for the background beat. Why the names Hotel and VV, I have no clue. Hotel's name is Jamie Hince and VV's is Alison Mosshart. But they are rock stars so they can call themselves whatever they want. They had great chemistry on stage, at one point VV was down on her knees bent with her back on the ground and Hotel came up and his guitar was making love to her. IT WAS GREAT! Of course my piece of shit camera kept fucking up and I didn't get quite a few great pics, including that one. SO today I ordered a new camera that should be here in time for the Garbage show Thursday, if cameras are allowed. Tonight a buddy's brother's band is playing some small venue so I may get some pics and review that as well. If not Next is Garbage!