Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Next New Thing

Now we know the times are changing and everything is getting more extreme. Instead of tatoos people are getting branded and I've seen it before and I know That Girl posted a pic of the threading on a girls back, well I got this email at work. Check it out, I don't think I could get this done, I've branded myself with a lighter, have tats and plan on getting more, had piercings and plan to get at least one back, but this NEVER.

New fad...
It looks like we as physicians and surgeons will begin seeing patients with "skin carvings" as the next fad beyond tattooing. It's called "scarification". Some are done by tattoo shops, and a lot are home-made with exacto knives, tweezer and rubbing alcohol. It's getting a lot of internet attention at the tattoo websites, so that can only mean the numbers of those attempting this will be on the rise.

This is probably not only illegally performed surgery, but potentially infectious, being done under less than ideal aseptic technique and post "carving" care. You'll note from the included photos of the carving environment and the scalpel blades to perform it, along with a dab of antibiotic ointment on the blue drape.

I have not heard any official DoD policy against "skin carving", but it probably falls under the rule that all elective surgery MUST be approved by the service member's commanding officer. If anyone can inform us of any further policies, that would be good.

See pictures below for graphic illustration of the process involved in scarification.