Thursday, May 19, 2005

Star Wars

I know all the geeks in blogland are probably posting about Star Wars today, let me start by saying I am not one of those geeks. One of the people I work with is, he came and fixed my computer about a week ago because I couldn't get to the internet from work, so I owed him a favor. He came and told me DC101 were giving away passes to the screener yesterday at 7 on insider advantage and he didn't have enough points to get it. I have a shitload of points, so I got them for him. The catch was I had to go to claim the prize. I have never been a huge SW fan, I haven't even saw Episode 2 yet. So we went to the Uptown theater, with lines galore for that screener and the midnight show. People are retarded, camping out in downtown DC. The crowd was full of overweight nerds, some dressed like storm troopers, one Darth Vader, and a very huge princess Leia. Suprisingly there were a bunch of teens camping out too. In our line for the 7 show, there were quite a few slimmer buisinessmen and again some younger crowd. There were TV stations all over the place too, I almost ended up on the news, in the background of course. After only an hour wait in line, we were in the theater. God I want to do some nerd bashing. People were clapping and screaming, it's a screen, no one from the movie is there to hear you!!!! Everytime Yoda did anything, people cheered and screamed with delight. It was probably the worse movie experience, even when I willingly went to see the opening for one of the matrixes, I forget which one. Towards the end it started to get really hot in the 866 seat theater, I started to doze off, I think it was only for a minute or two. Some of the fight scenes were way to long, I said the same for the matrix, just give a minute or two and then go to something else already. Everyone already knows how it ends, Anakin turns into Darth Vader. The movie did of course have some cool special effects, I was disappointed that our showing didn't have any previews, I was only looking foreward to great previews and seeing Natalie Portman(HOT!), who by the way goes from being pregnant and not showing to pretty big in the matter of minutes and there wasn't a time change or anything. And it didn't really show here in sexy clothes either. If I was a critic I'd give this movie a "B", I am sure everyone else is going to say that it was the best thing they have ever seen, but they should open their eyes more often.